Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 1 quart
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream (33-36% fat)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark maple syrup
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 2⁄3 cup smoked salmon pulled into bite-sized pieces
- Whisk egg yolks in a bowl.
- Heat the milk, sugar, maple syrup, corn syrup, egg yolks, and sea salt in a saucepan, stirring to combine.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom, until the custard thickens enough to coat your spatula (160-170F).
- Pour through a strainer into the cold cream. (You can use an ice bath, we didn’t bother.)
- Chill thoroughly in refrigerator, preferably overnight.
- Churn ice cream! Add smoked salmon bits in last 30 seconds of churning; they’re fragile so don’t add them too early.
The ice cream comes out a nice light pink color. Enjoy!