Smoked and Candied Salmon Toast
- 1 /3 small very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 /4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 1/2lb flaked smoked salmon
- 8 slices toasted country-style bread
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tblsp capers, rinsed patted dry
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh chives
- Olive oil for drizzling
Toss onion and vinegar in a small bowl; let stand at least 1 hour to pickle.
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, fry capers until opened and crisp, about 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
Spread toasts with cream cheese and season with salt and pepper. Top with smoked salmon, drained pickled red onion, fried capers, and chives; drizzle with oil.